[dpdk-dev] Where is the Kernel NIC interface example in the source code?

Antti Kantee pooka at iki.fi
Fri Jun 28 16:05:20 CEST 2013

On 27.6.2013 2:54, Peter Chen wrote:
> This is in the sample application guide. I want to use tcpdump on the dpdk
> port, however its not in the examples folder of the source code...was it
> accidentally left out?

If you run a rump kernel on top of dpdk, hijacking the normal tcpdump
binary against the rump kernel should work in theory.  I say "in theory"
because:

1) the rump kernel dpdk driver not contain support.  ok, it's literally
two lines of code, but it's still currently theoretical
2) there might be some disagreement with ioctl's and bpf format between
the Linux userland and NetBSD kernel, requiring some further hacking

Of course, if you don't want TCP/IP at all, the benefit is also
theoretical ;)

   - antti