[dpdk-dev] DPDK apps are now working on CentOS 6.4

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Fri May 17 16:06:28 CEST 2013

This is an update to my last email requesting help with the DPDK sources and
Fedora 14.

After talking with a colleague who was investigating DPDK as well, I removed the
Fedora 14 install and installed instead CentOS 6.4.  After installing the
release, I did a 'yum update' on the kernel sources to obtain their latest kernel
(2.6.32 + patches) which seems to include the hugepage fixes pointed out in the
"Getting Started" guide.  Plus, HPET was fully there (it was not mmapable in F14
until I rebuilt the kernel).

Booted with hugepages=1024, mounted /mnt/huge, 'make config' and 'make',
installed uio and igb_uio and ran build/app/testpmd as shown on the website and
now packets are moving.  I don't know (yet) why Fedora 14 would not work while
CentOS does when it looks like they have the same fixes.  I partitioned my drive
when I installed CentOS so I could install Fedora 14 back on the box as well.

The only error I was the inability to mmap the HPET even though the kernel config
shows HPET_MMAP=y.

Later,

Patrick