[dpdk-dev] announcing rump kernel TCP/IP stack for DPDK

Antti Kantee pooka at iki.fi
Thu May 23 23:41:37 CEST 2013

Vincent,

On 23.05.2013 21:52, Vincent JARDIN wrote:
> We had to develop a complete logic from scratch (aka fast path logic) to
> get a TCP/IP stack with good performances for 6WIND (including some
> Openflow switching). Unfortunately, as part of our DPDK opensource
> contribution, we do not plan to publish under open source our 6WINDGate
> stack (yet).

I'm under no illusion that making things really fast will be trivial
work.  If it were, the world would be full of fast TCP/IP stacks ;)

> However, you are very welcomed to introduce a TCP/IP stack for the DPDK.
> What kind of support/benchmark did you run? Would you like to get it
> mainstream into the DPDK?

Our test was simple: DHCP and port 80 "GET /".  Since the TCP/IP stack
and rump kernel themselves are solid, it's been my experience that once
the above works, everything works even full blast.

I don't have hardware, but the other party I mentioned in my original
mail wanted to benchmark, so hopefully we'll have some netperf numbers
soon.  Based on prior experience, I expect some Gbps throughput on a 10G
without optimizing, but we'll see.

I think currently integration makes sense only as some sort of a
"reachover", i.e. source is not imported into the DPDK tree, but rather
fetched on demand.  I'm happy with the current state, but if someone
wants to work on a reachover solution, I'll be happy to assist, though
not drive the effort.  Eventually integration may become more pertinent
as different optimizations demand radically different code, but let's
think about that if/when we get there.

br,
   antti