[dpdk-dev] Best example for showing throughput?

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri May 24 17:45:25 CEST 2013

Adding other questions about packet generator:

24/05/2013 16:41, Thomas Monjalon :
> 24/05/2013 16:11, Patrick Mahan :
> > Intel Xeon E5-2690 (8 physical, 16 virtual)
>
> How many CPU sockets have you ?
>
> > 64 Gbyte DDR3 memory
> > Intel 82599EB-SPF dual port 10GE interface
> > CentOS 6.4 (2.6.32-358.6.1.el6.x86_64)
> > The 82599 is in a 16x PCI-e slot.
>
> Check the datasheet of your motherboard.
> Are you sure it is wired as a 16x PCI-e ?
> Is it connected to the right NUMA node ?
>
> > I have it attached to an IXIA box.

Which packet size are you sending with your packet generator ?
In case of 64 byte packets (with Ethernet CRC), (64+20)*8 = 672 bits.
So line rate is 10000/672 = 14.88 Mpps.
This bandwith should be supported by your 82599 NIC.

Are you sending and receiving on the 2 ports at the same time ?
Forwarding in the 2 directions is equivalent to double the bandwidth.
Maybe that 14.88*2 = 29.76 Mpps is too much for your hardware.

You could also try with 2 ports on 2 different NICs.

--
Thomas