[dpdk-dev] Problem in DPDK1.4 controlling 82599 ixgbe NICS with Fedora 19

Cyril Cressent cyril.cressent at intel.com
Thu Oct 10 14:59:14 CEST 2013

Hi Prashant,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:53:56AM +0530, Prashant Upadhyaya wrote:

> I am using DPDK1.4 with Fedora 19  [I am aware that DPDK1.4 release notes do not claim Fedora 19 as supported, but I tried nevertheless and reporting this issue]

Which kernel version are you running?

> Now I try to unbind these ports so that they can be controlled by DPDK. (I load the igb_uio ofcourse as usual)
> Now I first unbind the port represented by p1p1, this works and DPDK takes over this port.
>
> However, now when I try to unbind the p1p2, it gives the following error
>
> [root at localhost DPDK]# ./tools/pci_unbind.py --bind=igb_uio p1p2
> Error: bind failed for 0000:01:00.1 - Cannot bind to driver igb_uio
> Error: unbind failed for 0000:01:00.1 - Cannot open /sys/bus/pci/drivers//unbind
>
> I cannot unbind any other ports either.
>
> The one port which is unbound works fine with DPDK application without issues.
>
> So the question is, why are the other ports giving issues ?

I need to know the kernel version your Fedora 19 is running on to
confirm, but if I'm not mistaken it's a UIO bug that is
preventing devices after the first one bound to register properly.

We are aware of the issue and have a workaround for it.
Give me your Fedora 19 kernel version so I can double check if the
workaround applies or if the problem is caused by something else.

> The same machine works with Fedora18 properly and is able to unbind all the 4 ports.

Again, which kernel version is that Fedora 18 running on?

Cyril
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare