[dpdk-dev] query about port queues

Prashant Upadhyaya prashant.upadhyaya at aricent.com
Wed Oct 23 16:22:37 CEST 2013

Hi Jyoti,

You can configure the number of tx and rx queues via the software when you are calling the rte_eth_dev_configure.
However you cannot allocate more than what the NIC supports. But you can allocate less ofcourse.

Typically the queues are used so that independent cores can do tx and rx on a separate queue without locking.

If you have configured 'n' rx queues, your must ensure that you read from _all_ the queues because the packet can arrive on any of the rx queues based on the algorithm by which NIC fans out incoming messages on the queues (eg. RSS). You can transmit freely from any queue (eg. each core of yours could have a tx queue each in your usecase)

Regards
-Prashant