[dpdk-dev] About install dpdk on virtual machine - vmxnet3-usermap

dvr jinxiu.1006 at 163.com
Wed Sep 11 08:00:47 CEST 2013

hi,all
   I'm trying to install dpdk on virtual machine. Does the hypervisior must be "KVM" or "ESXi 5.0" ? I use ESX 4.1 instead, and encounter some problems:
    According to the document "vmxnet3-usermap" on the official website, I can't find the "vmx3" folder, and after “make”, I can't find the "vmxnet3-usermap.ko" in "kmod" subdirectory.
    My dpdk version is :dpdk-1.3.1r2.
    I can install dpdk and run "testpmd" successfully, but after I input "testpmd > start tx_first" , the network connection (between my pc and the pc installed ESX 4.1) interrupted. How could this happen?
    Another question: there are two ports on my virtual machine, after I insmod igb_uio.ko ,they both can't connect to outer net, how can I transmit packets to them?
    Any help will be appreciate.
    Best Regards.
Maria