[dpdk-dev] irq_to_desc undefined when compiling igb_uio

Habibi, Michael michael.f.habibi at hp.com
Tue Aug 26 22:55:29 CEST 2014

All,

I am building the latest DPDK version from dpdk.org (1.7.0), last commit 8777aa. I am building with essentially the target defconfig_x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc (renamed), using a gcc 4.4.6/eglibc 2.15 toolchain and a 2.6.34 linux kernel. During compilation, compiling the igb_uio kernel module results in the following warning:

  CC [M]  /path/to/build/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/igb_uio/igb_uio.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1 modules
WARNING: "irq_to_desc" [/path/to/build/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/igb_uio/igb_uio.ko] undefined!

This results in an obvious error when trying to load the module,
igb_uio: Unknown symbol irq_to_desc
insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.34/drivers/net/igb_uio.ko': unknown symbol in module

I have verified in our kernel source, as well as the public source for 2.6.34, that irq_to_desc is not an exported function. However the documentation states that the minimum version required is only 2.6.33. Did I setup my environment or build my kernel incorrectly?

We are building our own kernel for our use, so I have no problem rebuilding the kernel to export this symbol, but I wanted to verify with the dpdk developers first to see if this a potential bug or something I've done incorrectly. Thanks!