[dpdk-dev] Error in compiling Intel DPDK in FreeBSD with IVSHMEM

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Wed Aug 27 12:22:29 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 08:13:59AM +0000, Abdul Rasheed Shaik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> DPDK doesnt compile with MACHINE---> ivshmem.
>
> I tried to compile DPDK on FreeBSD Guest machine.
> gmake install T=x86_64-ivshmem-bsdapp-gcc CC=gcc48
> I get the following error
> ,,,
> ,,,
> Build app
> Build app/test
> CC test_ivshmem.o
> /root/dpdk-1.7.0/app/test/test_ivshmem.c:49:25: fatal error:rte_ivshmem.h:No such file or directory
> #include
> ^
> compilation terminated.
>
> Created a new target environment using the following:
> cp config/defconfig_x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc config/defconfig_x86_64-ivshmem-bsdapp-gcc
>
> Please let me know if there is support in FreeBSD to compile with TARGET as x86_64-ivshmem-bsdapp-gcc.

This is not something that is currently supported, as it relies upon a specific way of setting up the memory. Memory setup is very different on BSD vs Linux - Linux targets use the hugetlbfs filesystem, while BSD ones rely on a separate kernel module to reserve large blocks of memory from the kernel at boot time.