[dpdk-dev] overcommitting CPUs

Venkatesan, Venky venky.venkatesan at intel.com
Wed Aug 27 16:54:21 CEST 2014

DPDK currently isn't exactly poll mode - it has an API that receives and
transmits packets. How you enter that API could be interrupt or polled
-we've left that up to the application to decide, rather than force a
interrupt/NAPI type architecture. I do agree with Alex in that
implementing a interrupt/load driven entry point as an option will make
it usable more widely. There are multiple challenges here - managing the
latency of an interrupt driven scheme in a user-space context, not to
mention very high jitter rates to mention a few.

That said, overcommitment of CPUs can be achieved in other ways as well.
You could allocate and enforce CPU sharing via cgroups, and allocate x%
of a core to the DPDK pthread. It does introduce a degree of
indeterminism to when the DPDK pthread gets scheduled back in (depending
on how many other threads are running on that core). But it is another
option ...

Regards,
-Venky