[dpdk-dev] problem with rte_pktmbuf_prepend (possible bug?)

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Wed Feb 19 18:32:59 CET 2014

Hi Mario,
Yes rte_pktmbuf_free doesn't touch data/data_len fields.
In fact for 'normal' mbuf it would only update refcnt.
It is responsibility of alloc path to reset all mbuf fields to some initial values.
Usually it is done by: rte_pktmbuf_alloc()->rte_pktmbuf_reset().
If the code path doesn't use rte_pktmbuf_alloc() to allocate mbufs, then it its own responsibility to reset mbuf fields properly.
ixgbe and e1000 PMDs work that way - they use their own alloc routinies (for example to alloc a bulk of mbufs at once) and then reset mbuf fields manually.
Thanks
Konstantin