[dpdk-dev] Selecting Linux distribution for DPDK applications: CentOS or Debian

Daniel Kan dan at nyansa.com
Thu Jan 30 20:32:23 CET 2014

Thanks for the all the feedbacks. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has 3.8.x kernel and Fedcore 18 has 3.10.x kernel. Both kernels are not compatible with the vmxnet-usermap driver which supports only up to 3.2.x. virtio-net-pmd requires kernel 3.8.x and qemu 1.5 for multi-queue support. Since CentOS’s kernel is on its own path, I’m wondering if anyone has any issue with virtio-net-pmd on CentOS 6.x.

Prashant, CentOS is essentially the same as RHEL 6.3 minus the support.

Dan