[dpdk-dev] Running kni with low amount of cores

Olson, Matt Lyle matthew.lyl.olson at hp.com
Wed Jul 9 22:12:20 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have two NIC devices and a quad core system that I'm trying to run kni on. I would like to leave two cores for general use and two cores for kni. When run kni on just one of the ports, everything works fine and I can use that vEth normally. The exact command I run is this: ./kni -c 0x0c -n 2 -- -P -p 0x1 -config="(0,2,3)" But when I try to run kni on both ports, I can't find a configuration to make it work. Here's all the configs that I have tried, but none of them seem to work properly, the same way as just a single port: "(0,2,3), (1,2,3)"     "(0,2,3), (1,3,2)"    "(0,2,2), (1,3,3)". I'm wondering if it is supposed to work this way,  where each port needs its own Tx and Rx core, or if there is a way to get around it. If it is supposed to work this way, would it be worth my time to edit the code to allow me to have all Rx information dealt with on one core and all Tx on another?

Thanks,
Matt Olson