[dpdk-dev] phantom old packets received in new mbuf

Helmut Sim simhelmut at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:56:37 CEST 2014

Hi,

I still can't get over this issue and need some help here.

in order to investigate this issue i wrote a very simple app that do:
        rte_eth_rx_burst(port[i].portid, 0, pkts_burst, MAX_PKT_BURST)
        printf the udp pkt content
        rte_pktmbuf_free(pkts_burst[j]);

on my host i wrote a simple udp app:
        for i=0 to n, do
            sprintf(buf, "PKT %d", i++);
            send buf over udp (i tried several lengths)
            sleep(i have tried delay values from 0 to 1000 us)
        end

then i see that from time to time i get a packet that was already received
earlier instead of receiving the expected packet.
the output is:
PKT 12201
PKT 12202
PKT 12203
PKT 12204
PKT 12205
PKT 12206
PKT 12202
PKT 12208

total received pkts is identical to the total delivered pkts, but part of
the pkts are being received twice...
the testpmd application doens't give me tools to check it as there are no
content aware tests.

as smaller is the delay between pkts the probability to see this behaviour
is higher.
I've tried this with other NIC as well (82575) but got similar behavior.
I've tried it over my desktop as well as over a VM on my XEON, same
behaviour...

i've printed the pktmbuf pointer values and found that the duplicated pkts
use different pktmbufs.

My question is what tools do I have to start investigating it.

I've played with the rte_eth_rxconf possible values but it didn't help.

Since it looks like a basic issue I'm pretty sure it is a kind of
configuration problem.

any idea?

Thanks in advance,