[dpdk-dev] KNI interface

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Sat Jul 19 02:13:48 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 12:08:35AM +0000, Harish Patil wrote:
> Hello dpdk-dev,
> Went thru’ couple of documentation but not very clear to me. Does using
> KNI means handing over all the packets received/transmitted by the poll
> mode driver to the linux stack or can it be controlled for the control
> packets only ? What is the KNI use-case (besides ethtool) and what are the
> best options/choices/strategy to use poll mode driver for data path and
> linux for control plane operations ?

Hi Harish,

the packets to be sent to the kernel through the KNI interface is
entirely under application control, so it can be limited to control path
packets only. Indeed this is the primary expected use case for this
module, as the KNI cannot deal with the kind of data rates that the PMDs
can work with.

Regards,
/Bruce