[dpdk-dev] Performance - linking against DPDK shared vs static libraries

Kavanagh, Mark B mark.b.kavanagh at intel.com
Wed Jul 23 17:58:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

I build a switching application, which links against DPDK shared libraries; when I run the application, I see throughput of X.  I then build the application again, except this time I link against DPDK shared libraries, having modified the application's build parameters appropriately.  In this case, I see a performance drop of around .04%, which given the high throughput of the application is significant.

Is such performance degradation to be expected when using DPDK shared libraries, and if not, are there any best-known methods for preventing performance degradation, assuming that I may be constrained to using shared libraries going forward?

Thanks,
Mark
Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare