[dpdk-dev] VM does not receive any packets from testpmd using SR-IOV VF PMD

William Tu u9012063 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 09:56:12 CET 2014

Hi folks,

I have two Intel Xeon servers connected back-to-back using Intel 82599 NICs
(a sender to a receiver). I followed the steps in DPDK manual section 9.3
and use single VF direct pass-through to the VM and run testpmd on the VF
at the receiver. At the sender side, I run Pktgen and program the VF's MAC
address as destination mac and sends them out to the VM at 50% rate.

After booting the VM, according to the manual step 10, I need to take over
the physical function by running the testpmd at host side. Then in VM I
start the testpmd. The testpmd in VM starts ok without any error, and I
also check the "show port info all". However, while I keep sending packets
to the VM, the "show port stats all" always reports 0 RX-packet. Actually
no packet rx/tx at all.

I've check that without running VM, the sender indeed could send packet to
the receiver server. I'm wondering how to debug this issue and any comments
are very appreciated.
btw, one weird thing is that I try to do "set promisc all on", however I
check the port info and it is always disabled.

Thank you.

Regards,
William