[dpdk-dev] White listing a virtual device

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Nov 7 15:57:50 CET 2014

2014-11-07 14:28, Nicolas Pernas Maradei:
> Thanks for your reply. The -w option is the same as --pci-whitelist
> mentioned in my first email. Declaring a virtual device with --vdev
> means that I want to use it but there doesn't seem to be a way to say
> that I want to use only that device. Clearly the white list option is
> the way to specify this but if virtual devices are excluded from
> -w/--pci-whitelist you can't only white list the virtual devices.
>
> I want to be able to have the same command line arguments across several
> systems under test without having to know where the physical devices are
> (to black list them).
>
> My issue is not that I don't want to black list the physical devices
> it's just that I want to white list the virtual ones. I don't see why
> that option is not available.

OK, now I better understand your need.
I think that your use case was simply forgotten when designing the
new behaviour.
Could you prepare a patch for this need?
Or maybe you could workaround with a script based on lspci to blacklist all
network devices?

--
Thomas