[dpdk-dev] vmware vmxnet3-usermap AND DPDK VMXNET3 PMD

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Mon Nov 10 00:17:47 CET 2014

Hi,

2014-11-07 16:53, Patel, Rashmin N:
> Yes, you're right DPDK VMXNET3-PMD in /lib/librte_pmd_vmxnet3 does not
> support mbuf chaining today. But it's a standalone bsd driver just like
> any other pmd in that directory, it does not need vmxnet3-usermap.ko module.
>
> Now there is another vmxnet3 solution in a separate branch as a plugin,
> which must have vmxnet3-usermap.ko linux module(1), and a user space
> interface piece(2) to tie it to any DPDK application in the main branch.
> (1) and (2) makes the solution which is known as vmxnet3-plugin. It's been
> there for a long time just like virtio-plugin, I don't know who uses it,
> but community can *reply* here if there is still any need of a separate
> solution that way.

Coming back to last year, 6WIND developped some PMDs for virtio and vmxnet3.
Later, Intel developped their own version using the uio framework.
The versions in the main repository are the Intel ones, whereas the original
ones from 6WIND are released as extensions.
For completeness, it must be noted that Brocade worked on their own approach
of vmxnet3 and contributed to virtio PMD.
It's now time to merge all these implementations.

The 6WIND implementations show that it's possible to avoid the uio framework.
The virtio-net-pmd use port access granted by iopl().
The vmxnet3-usermap reuse the VMware's kernel module with a special mode for
memory mapping. It was a pre-bifurcated logic.