[dpdk-dev] Newbie question: compiling virtio-net-pmd v1.2 fails with dpdk 1.7 on a VM

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Thu Nov 20 15:17:27 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 02:37:27PM +0200, Tapio Tallgren wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
> wrote:

> > what
> > >
> > > Nothing, its a bug.  DPDK changed the API here with commit
> > > 9aaccf1abdb2894ec23870e1d2199a657f85850e but it never got changed in the
> > > virtio_user pmd.  You need to modify the pmd like the other call sites
> > have been
> > > in the above commit.
> > >
> > > This is why those external pmds need to be merged into the dpdk tree.
> >
> > Yes, exactly.
> > We'll see during 2.0 cycle how to merge them. The ideal plan is to keep
> > only
> > 1 implementation.
> >
> > In the meantime, patches are welcome.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
> >

> This looks like a purely cosmetic change? So, if the code compiles, then it
> will also run correctly?

Not sure what you mean by that.  It looks to me as though the second argument
was removed.  so if you remove that, yes the code should compile and run
correctly.  But you can't just do any old thing to make the code compile (e.g
ifdef out the macro entirely, or some such), you still have to make the right
change.
Neil