[dpdk-dev] virtio UIO / PMD issues in default Ubuntu Cloud Images

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Oct 14 08:34:06 CEST 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:03:53PM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
> Another weird issue... when I tried to compile a DPDK shared lib using clang I
> got this really, really weird error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: test: hidden symbol `mknod' in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc_nonshared.a(mknod.oS) is referenced by DSO
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

Note: this specific error seems to be a bug in the behavior of DPDK
compilation when the following two options are enabled simultaneously:

CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_COMBINE_LIBS=y

I think this is a pretty serious problem for anybody that's packaging or
distributing a complete DPDK because compiling both the static and dynamic
DPDK's at the same time as one another is going to fail with this weird error.

Matthew.