[dpdk-dev] kernel panic when stop my test demo

Lilijun jerry.lilijun at huawei.com
Thu Oct 16 04:40:08 CEST 2014

On 2014/10/15 18:08, Richardson, Bruce wrote:

> [...]
>>> 4. Do some rx/tx tests.
>>> 5. call rte_eth_dev_stop(dpdk_port_id) to stop the hardware as your history
>> emails.
>>> 6. Switch the driver of the NIC from igb_uio.ko to ixgbe.ko.
>>> 7. Kill the demo using commands: kill -9.
>
> Just to clarify one point - you have an application running which was using the NICs with DPDK while you remove the uio driver and replace it with ixgbe?
I would expect doing such a thing to cause problems as stopping the device does not cause the NIC BAR memory to be unmapped from the DPDK process.
Therefore removing the driver providing that memory map and getting another driver to start using those same BARs would not be recommended.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I want to change the NIC driver by replacing the uio driver with ixgbe in order to recover the NIC to origin kernel ether-net devices while keeping the application running.
Then my application can use the NICs with DPDK or with kernel ixgbe driver on demand.
I am confusing with how to release all uio resources when stop my application.

Would you like to give me any suggestions for my requirements?