[dpdk-dev] development/integration branch?

Marc Sune marc.sune at bisdn.de
Tue Oct 21 11:38:34 CEST 2014

Thomas,

On 21/10/14 11:28, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2014-10-21 11:14, Marc Sune:
>> On 21/10/14 10:46, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>>> My balance is different because I have a simpler solution for Marc's problem:
>>> 	git fetch && git merge $(git tag | grep -v -- -rc | tail -n1)
>> We all know we _can_ do this. But is it really necessary? We should be
>> all as lazy as possible and make it easy for users IMHO. `git pull` is
>> easier :)
> Yes and lazy users download tarballs.

At least for me, I stopped downloading DPDK tarballs after the third
time I had to upgrade the release.
>> I don't see any drawback of using a development branch, except if you
>> consider the extra push to master per release a drawback.
> No I don't care to push one more thing.
> But I care about the message brought by such change. It would mean that
> we can break the development branch and that most of developers don't test
> it nor base their patches on the latest commit. It's all about simple rules
> and messages.

I understand your concern but, isn't peer reviewing meant to prevent this?

>> Also think about new users downloading the repo for the first time. They
>> are forced to do this right now if they want to checkout the latest stable.
> New users will get the latest release and expect to see current work in
> progress right after cloning the git tree (in master branch).
> It's also more common to see work in progress in default branch in cgit.
I know, but I also know other projects do the way I proposed with
success. In any case it was just a suggestion to try to improve things.

marc