[dpdk-dev] development/integration branch?

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Wed Oct 22 09:00:58 CEST 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:28:47AM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> But I care about the message brought by such change. It would mean that
> we can break the development branch and that most of developers don't test
> it nor base their patches on the latest commit. It's all about simple rules
> and messages.

I have seen two common ways to do this which I think are about equal.

1) master is latest release in production, develop branch is tip

2) master is tip, production releases live in branches / tags

A lot of non-free stuff uses (1) along with some open source.

So the DPDK is using model (2), which is pretty common for open source.

What I think git in general and DPDK in particular are missing is, they have a
tradition tags for releases, however I think this is broken because you can't
easily append more stuff to tages.

I really prefer putting my releases on actual branches to make it as easy as
possible for users / maintenance programmers to follow and/or add stuff to a
codeline. For example I'd like a 1.7.X branch I could follow for my app until
1.8.X is ready.

Having a stable branch would also make stuff easier for guys like Marc who
want to follow the known-stable release in an easy way without horsing around
with "the latest tag of the day" all the time.

Perhaps this is an OK option?

Matthew.