[dpdk-dev] development/integration branch?

Marc Sune marc.sune at bisdn.de
Thu Oct 23 11:19:04 CEST 2014

On 21/10/14 15:01, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:14:43 +0200
> Marc Sune <marc.sune at bisdn.de> wrote:
>
>> On 21/10/14 10:46, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>>> My balance is different because I have a simpler solution for Marc's problem:
>>> 	git fetch && git merge $(git tag | grep -v -- -rc | tail -n1)
>> Thomas,
>>
>> We all know we _can_ do this. But is it really necessary? We should be
>> all as lazy as possible and make it easy for users IMHO. `git pull` is
>> easier :)
>>
>> I don't see any drawback of using a development branch, except if you
>> consider the extra push to master per release a drawback.
>>
>> Also think about new users downloading the repo for the first time. They
>> are forced to do this right now if they want to checkout the latest stable.
>>
>> marc
> For most project master is the development branch and where patches
> should be targeted.

I don't know if most, but certainly some.

> If you want stable branch, then either use releases or volunteer to
> maintain a "master-stable" branch.

There is no need to _maintain_ any master-stable branch because that
would be == to the latest stable tag, so it is just a push. You can give
me push access for that if you want.

I also agree that would be interesting  to have release branches,
independently if the development branch where patches are integrated is
the master or not.

Marc