[dpdk-dev] Cannot mmap device resource in DPDK 1.7.0 multi-process/multi-thread

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Oct 24 14:08:04 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:21:08PM +0200, Mario Gianni wrote:
> Hi all, I have a problem since I updated to 1.7.0 version,
> I got a multi-process, multi-threaded application,
> In my application first I launch a master process, then I launch a secondary process with multiple threads in it
> Well, when the number of lcores reserved for the secondary process exceeds a certain number (eg. 4) i got an error in rte_eal_init() on the secondary process when it tries to map PCI memory:
>
> EAL: pci_map_resource(): cannot mmap(12, 0x7ffff2e96000, 0x800000, 0x1000): Success (0x7ffff559b000)
> EAL: Cannot mmap device resource
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>     Cause: Requested device 0000:01:00.0 cannot be used
>
> Can you help me?

This could be because the additional memory/stack space used by the pthreads
for the cores in the secondary process is overlapping the space used in the
primary process for hugepage or device memory. You could perhaps try adding
a few cores to the primary process's coremask (and not using those cores)
and see if it helps things.
Alternatively there is a base-virtaddr parameter that can be passed to the
primary process to try and adjust the starting address for it mapping
memory. If you look at where it starts mapping memory right now, and then
try hinting to it to maps the pages at a slightly higher or lower address
and see if it helps.

/Bruce