[dpdk-dev] Cannot mmap device resource in DPDK 1.7.0 multi-process/multi-thread

Richardson, Bruce bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Oct 28 13:19:10 CET 2014

With the l2fwd_fork example, the forked processes are not secondary proceses in the sense of the other DPDK multiprocess models - with each one having its own core mask and set of threads. Instead, each forked process is a single thread based off the core-mask provided at process startup. It's a different way of doing things, but one which provides separate processes, while guaranteeing that all processes can share the same hugepage memory at the same address without relying on having the kernel map things at specific points in the address space.

/Bruce