[dpdk-dev] DPDK and custom memory

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Wed Sep 3 12:03:49 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 01:17:53AM +0000, Saygin, Artur wrote:
> Thanks for prompt responses!
>
> To clarify, the questions is not about accessing a NIC, but about a NIC accessing a very specific block of physical memory, possibly non-kernel managed.

Still not sure what you mean here by non-kernel managed.  If memory can be
accessed from the CPU, then the kernel can allocate, free and access it, thats
it.  If the memory isn't accessible from the cpu, then this is out of our hands
anyway.  The only question is, how do you access it.

> Per my understanding memory that rte_mempool_create API obtains is kernel managed, grabbed by DPDK via HUGETLBFS, with address selection being outside of application control. Is there a way around that? As in have DPDK allocate buffer memory from address XYZ only...
Nope, the DPDK allocates blocks of memory without regard to the operation of the
NIC.  If you have some odd NIC that requires access to a specific physical
memory range, then it is your responsibility to reserve that memory and author
the PMD in such a way that it communicates with the NIC via that memory.
Usually this is done via a combination of operating system facilities (e.g. the
linux kernel commanline option memmap or the runtime mmap operation on the
/dev/mem device).

Regards
Neil