[dpdk-dev] tools brainstorming

Neil Horman nhorman at tuxdriver.com
Fri Apr 10 02:16:13 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 09:29:14PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:

> On 4/9/15, 4:23 PM, "Stephen Hemminger" <stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:10:19 +0000

> >>standard

> >>which

> >>that
> >>works
> >>what
> >>other
> >>can
> >>whats

> >>contributions. Is

> >>way
> >>//
> >>affect

> >>the
> >>they

> >> I looked at checkpatch.pl for few minutes and the code does check for
> >>C99
> >> comments and adding a command line option to allow C99 comments could
> >> pretty simple. I found the code around line 3048 or search for C99, it
> >>is
> >> possible it could accepted back into Linux as long as the default option
> >> was to not allow C99 comments.
> >>
> >> Allowing C99 comments would be nice and the only problem I could see if
> >> some compiler has a problem with them. I believe all of the compilers we
> >> support allow C99 comments.
> >>
> >> The only other reason to allow them is if we add some open source code
> >>in
> >> the future to DPDK which has C99 comments and if would be a pain to have
> >> to convert that code every time the open source group released a new
> >> version. It does open that path IMO.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> ++Keith
> >> >

> >But forking a tool means maintaining that tool.
>
> If the tool is pushed back into the main stream, then no you do not have
> to maintain it, right?
> That was my point and the change a simple one plus I would expect it
> should not give anyone a problem unless Linux really wants to stay pre
> C99, which is not the case today, right?
This is true, but the typical attitude in the linux kernel is that a change must
have a use case and a user to be considered.  I don't want to dissuade you from
trying to get it accepted, but my concern would be that, since the kernel folks
don't allow the '//' comments, they won't be interested in maintaining the
change.

Neil