[dpdk-dev] tools brainstorming

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Apr 14 16:52:55 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 06:16:12PM +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-04-08 15:53, Wiles, Keith:
> > One of the biggest problems with any style is helping the developer
> > maintain the style. Using some tool does help and I have used astyle
> > before, not bad code formatter. Here is a few that seem to be reasonable.
> >
> > http://astyle.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcgreatcode/
>
> I'm not sure it's a good idea to convert the codebase automatically.
> The coding style must be a reference for new patches and they must be
> automatically checked with a dedicated checkpatch tool.
> By forbidding patches which don't comply, the codebase will be naturally
> converted over time.

I'd like to see us document the existing style as much as possible before changing
it. That saves any conversion issues. In cases where multiple styles are used,
we can initially go with the more prevalent one.

> I didn't review this proposal yet.
> My first comment is that it's too long to read :)
> When a consensus is done, it must be added with a patch with custom
> checkpatch addition.

My personal feeling is that we should try and keep checkpatch modifications to a
minimum. Right now, we can use checkpatch as-is from kernel.org, right?

/Bruce