[dpdk-dev] Saving packet timestamp when reading from pcap

Nicolas Pernas Maradei nicolas.pernas.maradei at emutex.com
Tue Apr 21 12:50:52 CEST 2015

Hi Dor,

What you are looking for seems straight forward to implement and it
should not really affect the driver's performance at all. Even adding
the full timestamp (seconds plus microseconds). However, I don't see too
much people looking for that feature to make it to mainline. I could be
wrong and it's not up to me to decide but I believe it wouldn't add too
much value to the driver itself. It would make your testing easier but
that's all. Maybe encapsulating the feature within #defines?

If you were to read the packets from a pcap file and send them through a
real NIC could you use the NIC's HW timestamp if supported? I'm not
entirely sure about it (maybe someone else could provide more info about
it) but it could solve your problem in a cleaner way.

Nico.