[dpdk-dev] Performance regression in DPDK 1.8/2.0

Paul Emmerich emmericp at net.in.tum.de
Tue Apr 28 12:56:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

Matthew Hall <mhall at mhcomputing.net>:
> Not sure if it's relevant or not, but there was another mail claiming PCIe MSI-X wasn't necessarily working in DPDK 2.x. Not sure if that could be causing slowdowns when there are drastic volumes of 64-byte packets causing a lot of PCI activity.

Interrupts should not be relevant here.

> Also, you are mentioning some specific patches were involved... so I have to ask if anybody tried git bisect yet or not. Maybe easier than trying to guess at the answer.

I have not yet tried to bisect it, but that’s the next step
on my todo list*. The mbuf patch was just an educated
guess to start a discussion.

I hoped that I was just doing something obvious wrong,
and/or that someone could point me to performance
regression tests that were executed to proof that the mbuf
patch does not affect performance.

However, there don’t seem to be any 'official‘ performance
regression tests, are there?

Paul

* I probably won’t be able to it until next week, though as
I have to to finish the paper about my packet generator