[dpdk-dev] Performance regression in DPDK 1.8/2.0

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Apr 28 12:58:14 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:28:34AM +0200, Paul Emmerich wrote:
> Let me know if you need any additional information.
> I'd also be interested in the configuration that resulted in the 20% speed-
> up that was mentioned in the original mbuf patch
>
> Paul

The speed-up would be for apps that were doing RX of scattered packets, i.e.
across mbufs. Before 1.8, this was using a scalar function which was rather
slow compared to the fast-path vector function. In 1.8 we introduced a new
vector function which supported scattered packets - it still isn't as fast as
the non-scattered packet RX function, but it was a good improvement over the
older version.

/Bruce