[dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?

Eimear Morrissey eimear.morrissey at ie.ibm.com
Mon Dec 7 12:13:58 CET 2015

Stephen Hemminger <stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote on 12/04/2015 05:36:08
PM:

> From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen at networkplumber.org>
> To: Eimear Morrissey/Ireland/IBM at IBMIE
> Cc: dev at dpdk.org
> Date: 12/04/2015 05:36 PM
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [i40e] Failed to init adminq?
>
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:25:09 +0000
> "Eimear Morrissey" <eimear.morrissey at ie.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having an issue with the i40e pmd failing to initialise a port.
I've
> > tried powercycling with the linux i40e driver removed and blacklisted
as
> > suggested here: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-June/019132.html,
but
> > it's still persisting. It used to initialise without issues so I'm not
sure
> > what could have changed? I'm running it in the host at the moment but I
> > have used that port pci passthrough'd to a guest also.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eimear
> >
> > EAL: PCI device 0000:86:00.0 on NUMA socket 1
> > EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1572 rte_i40e_pmd
> > EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40000000
> > EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f5d40800000
> > PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to init adminq: -54
> > EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
> >   Cause: Requested device 0000:86:00.0 cannot be used
>

> For me, it turned out to be a bug in earlier version
> of a patch to support xen dom0.  This happens if the memory zone
> setup in i40e_allocate_dma_mem_d was not providing correct addresses.
>
> Anyway check if you have that correct.
>
> Also, updating firmware took more effort than expected.
>   1. Need to run Intel's out of tree Linux driver for i40e
>      or the version in 4.4-rc1 or later.
>   2. Need to use Linux driver (ie no DPDK)
>   3. System needs access to internet to download firmware
>
> Overall, it is one of those "pray for bits" updates.

I'm using DPDK 2.1.0 - I'm not sure if that has the correct patch version
or not?

What's confusing is that it used to work but now it's completely stopped
working & nothing (powercycling, binding to different drivers and back,
even replacing the actual card) seems to affect it.

I haven't upgraded the firmware on the card, but will try.

-Eimear