[dpdk-dev] VFIO no-iommu

Vincent JARDIN vincent.jardin at 6wind.com
Fri Dec 11 23:12:32 CET 2015

Thanks Thomas for putting back this topic.

Alex,

I'd like to hear more about the impacts of "unsupported":
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=033291eccbdb1b70ffc02641edae19ac825dc75d
   Use of this mode, specifically binding a device without a native
   IOMMU group to a VFIO bus driver will taint the kernel and should
   therefore not be considered supported.

It means that we get ride of uio; so it is a nice code cleanup: but why
would VFIO/NO IOMMU be better if the bottomline is "unsupported"?

Thank you,
   Vincent