[dpdk-dev] problem vhost-user sockets

Pavel Fedin p.fedin at samsung.com
Tue Dec 15 13:41:23 CET 2015

 Hello!

 I have a question regarding vhostuser. If we cannot bind to a socket, why do we simply fail with error instead of just unlink()ing
the path before binding?

 This causes a very annoying problem with ovs. After ovs is stopped (i use supplied system integration), these sockets are not
removed. Looks like ovs just exits without correct cleanup. This effectively causes my vhostuser interfaces to go down until i clean
them up manually. And i have to do it after every ovs restart, every system reboot, etc. It is very annoying.
 I understand that the app should really do correct cleanup upon exit. But what if it abnormally crashes because of some reason
(bug, attack, etc)? Shouldn't it be able to automatically recover?

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia