[dpdk-dev] VFIO no-iommu

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Mon Dec 21 20:22:23 CET 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 11:46 +0000, Yigit, Ferruh wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 02:50:17PM -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:

> > Let's try this one:
> >
> > commit 8ff839c6ffe9f3b50b50f1cc87e7afbf23171f05
> > Author: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson at redhat.com>
> > Date:   Fri Dec 18 14:45:55 2015 -0700
> >
> >     v2 vfio fix no-iommu CHECK_EXTENSION
> >
> >     Register and unregister the no-iommu iommu backend at module
> >     initialization and exit, but disable it unless enabled via
> > module
> >     option.  Rather than modify the iommu driver walk, selectively
> > skip
> >     combinations that aren't supported.  CHECK_EXTENSION on a
> > container
> >     without any groups attached exposes all possible
> > extensions.  Once a
> >     group is attached, the no-iommu backend is skipped for regular
> > groups
> >     and regular iommu backends are skipped for no-iommu groups.
> >
> >     This would be folded into a single patch to re-propose vfio no-
> > iommu
> >     mode upstream.
> >
> >     Signed-off-by: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson at redhat.com>
> >
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you for the update. I have tested this on both no-iommu and
> iommu environment
> and worked successfully. I believe this approach is better because it
> is simpler.
>
> From DPDK point of view, only update to support vfio no-iommu is: to
> use new group names
> and disable DMA mapping.
>
> If VFIO module compiled with "CONFIG_VFIO_NOIOMMU=y" by default, that
> makes things easier
> for DPDK, in no-iommu environment inserting vfio module with proper
> parameter makes it
> available for DPDK.

Thanks for the update Ferruh.  Also note that the module option is
dynamically settable so that it can support running with statically
compiled modules where you may not know whether or not to enable no-
iommu until after boot, or where unloading and re-loading a module
might not be an option.  It will be up to each distro to decide whether
to enable the config option, but I think we at least highlight the
existing support issue for non-iommu protected userspace drivers, which
is something that was not at all clear with the uio driver approach.
 Thanks,

Alex