[dpdk-dev] upper limit on the size of allocation through rte_malloc in dpdk-1.8.0?

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri Feb 6 12:00:14 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 05:24:58PM +0200, Stefan Puiu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to alter an existing program to use the Intel DPDK. I'm
> using 1.8.0, compiled by me as a shared library
> (CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_COMBINE_LIBS=y and CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y in
> .config) on Ubuntu 12.04. The program needs to allocate large blocks
> of memory (between 1 and 4 chunks of 4.5GB, also 1-4 chunks of 2.5
> GB). I tried changing my C++ code to use an array allocated using
> rte_malloc() instead of the std::vector I was using beforehand, but it
> seems the call to rte_malloc() fails. I then made a simple test
> program using the DPDK that takes a size to allocate and if that
> fails, tries again with sizes of 100MB less, basically the code below.
> This is C++ code (well, now that I look it could've been plain C, but
> I need C++) compiled with g++-4.6 with '-std=gnu++0x':
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
>     int ret = rte_eal_init(argc, argv);
>     if (ret < 0)
>         rte_exit(EXIT_FAILURE, "Invalid EAL arguments\n");
>     argc -= ret;
>     argv += ret;
>
> [... check argc >= 2]
>     size_t size = strtoul(argv[1], NULL, 10);
>     size_t s = size;
>
>     for (size_t i = 0; i < 30; ++i) {
>         printf("Trying to allocate %'zu bytes\n", s);
>         buf = rte_malloc("test", s, 0);
>         if (!buf)
>             printf ("Failed!\n");
>         else {
>             printf ("Success!\n");
>             rte_free(buf);
>             break;
>         }
>
>         s = s - (100 * 1024ULL * 1024ULL);
>     }
>
>     return 0;
> }
>
> I'm getting:
> Trying to allocate 4,832,038,656 bytes
> Failed!
> Trying to allocate 4,727,181,056 bytes
> Failed!
> [...]
> Trying to allocate 2,944,601,856 bytes
> Success!
>
> It's not always the same value, but usually somewhere around 3GB
> rte_malloc() succeeds. I'm running on a physical (non-VM) NUMA machine
> with 2 physical CPUs, each having 64GBs of local memory. The machine
> also runs Ubuntu 12.04 server. I've created 16384 hugepages of 2MB:
>
> echo 16384 > /sys/devices/system/node/node0/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages
>
> I'm running the basic app like this:
>
> sudo  numactl --membind=0 ~/src/test/dpdk_test/alloc -c 1f -n 4 -w
> 04:00.0 --socket-mem=16384,0 -- 4832038656
>
> I'm trying to run only on NUMA node 0 and only allocate memory from
> there - that's what the app I'm moving to the DPDK works like (using
> numactl --membind=x and --cpunodebind=x).
>
> Is there an upper limit on the amount of memory rte_malloc() will try
> to allocate? I tried both after a reboot and when the machine had been
> running for a while with not much success. Am I missing something?
> [...]

Does your system support 1G pages? I would recommend using a smaller number of
1G pages vs the huge number of 2MB pages that you are currently using. There
may be issues with the allocations failing due to a lack of contiguous blocks
of memory due to the 2MB pages being spread across memory.

Regards,
/Bruce