[dpdk-dev] Intel DPDK support for ntop DPI

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Feb 17 01:58:05 CET 2015

I did some research on this previously before concluding NDPI wouldn't help me
much with my own particular application.

Just for running NDPI DPDK is not strictly needed, as NDPI is normally
read-only so something like PF_RING would work in default ntop / ndpi. If
you're trying to use NDPI in a read-write application then you'd need to make
the integration yourself.

However the much harder part than just the integration would be tracking
flow-starts for TCP and UDP sockets to feed to NDPI. From what I found NDPI by
itself does not appear to offer connection tracking. It has to be implemented
separately.

My advice: carefully research how ntop calls ndpi in their code using cscope.
Because the ndpi documentation about how to use all the functions is kind of
bad and not so clear. It took quite some hours before I understood it wasn't
going to help with what I was coding in my application.

Matthew.