[dpdk-dev] IOMMU and VF

Alex Markuze alex at weka.io
Fri Jan 9 13:45:37 CET 2015

Thanks Zhang, I'm familiar with issue you have mentioned, but I don't
 think it is related.
The OS is a RHEL 6.5 which is kernel 2.6.32 (With what ever newer patches
RH have cherry picked).

Moving to DPDK 1.8 is not a viable option right now for us.
Could you please elaborate on the new mac types patches and how it can
relate to the issue at hand.

This feels like an iommu issue as we are able to configure the ports
successfully, but there is no traffic in or out.
Which leads me to believe that the RX/TX descriptors are at fault.
Another clue that I've already mentioned is these snippets from demise:
Looking at the demise I se this:
IOMMU: hardware identity mapping for device 0000:83:00.0
IOMMU: hardware identity mapping for device 0000:83:00.1

Which include the PF but not the VF. IOMMU has a separate translation table
for each peripheral device(just like the cpu has a separate translation
table and TLB for each process). I'm guessing that the IOMMU is not SRIOV
aware and should maintain a separate translation table for each virtual
function(unless I'm missing something). If this is true I would expect to
see that an identity ,capping has been set for the VFs as well.

It maybe some config issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks