[dpdk-dev] Why nothing since 1.8.0?

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Fri Jan 16 19:58:52 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:18:19PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> I'd like to try solving the review challenge first and see what else can be
> done after that. Step by step.

FWIW, I know the kernel guys seem to really love it, but not everybody else
has much fun trying to do the reviews reading huge patch emails. I lose a lot
of context trying to stare at them in mutt 80x25 console etc. It would be nice
if we could have a visual interface with syntax highlighting and comment
capabilities, that's easier to read through quickly and clearly, like
ReviewBoard, GitHub Pull Request UI, etc. If it had email integration to reply
to the patch threads that'd be great too.

Also if we had some branches available where conceptually related changes are
grouped, somebody could check out the branch with some feature they wanted to
try, get all the related patches, integrate with their app of choice, and see
if the app works successfully with the new feature.

Some of these things like DPDK, it isn't obvious how the feature will help or
hurt, until you write some code against it and/or benchmark it first, because
some of these features are kind of complicated.

Another thing... if we had some kind of wiki page, where some of the backend
coders could mark themselves as maintainers of all the different features they
work on, and more client-side network stack guys like me could express
interest in certain features, we could connect the two sides so any given guy
knows who can review his bugfix he found, or try out his new patchset to see
if it works well in an app.

Matthew.