[dpdk-dev] DPDK - TX from lcore in packet distributor configuration

deco33000 Jog deco33000 at yandex.com
Wed Jan 21 15:00:50 CET 2015

Hello,

-- PROBLEM
I have a AF_PACKET socket which is in promiscuous mode to get all the NIC traffic and let my apps do the whole stuff.

So I have one receiver and need to communicate the packet to different threads/processes (lcore) so that they can process the rest of the packet (tcp/udp...)

-- QUESTION
I read about the packet distributor architecture which seems to answer that need.
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/packet_distrib_lib.html

BUT i fear that it be slow at resending the packet to the distributor which may already be overloaded by inputs from the net. Why pass back the answer to the distributor if the lcore could send to the wire directly ?

My problem is going back to the distributor after the packet processing. i would a direct send to the tx ring.

Is it possible ? How ?  By passing the TX pointer to the lcore ?