[dpdk-dev] Using rte_ring_mp_xyz() across EAL and non-EAL threads ?

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Mon Jul 6 11:12:37 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 08:13:47PM -0700, Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification Bruce. But I find this link below in the
> documentation which says it should not be used in cases where the
> scheduling policy is SCHED_RR because guess it can lead to an endless
> spin-lock-wait by the SCHED_RR thread waiting for the lower prio
> thread which got pre-empted. I am assuming this is a very unlikely
> situation 32 core Xeon like cpu where a low prio thread never gets
> scheduled because there are always realtime threads with work to do ?
> But since the warning is in bold and pretty loud :), I decided not to
> use that and just do a handoff with a standard mutex-lock :(. If my
> threads were not realtime (not SCHED_RR), I could have used this!
>
> http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/env_abstraction_layer.html section 3.3.4.
>
> "The “non-preemptive” constraint means: Bypassing this constraint it
> may cause the 2nd pthread to spin until the 1st one is scheduled
> again. Moreover, if the 1st pthread is preempted by a context that has
> an higher priority, it may even cause a dead lock."
>

> Rgds,
> Gopa.

Yes, the note is indeed correct. As a general statement, rte_rings should never
be used to pass data between two threads on the same core. At worst, it can
cause deadlock, at best it can just lead to lots of wasted time as one thread
uses its entire scheduling quantum just waiting for the other thread which it is
blocking.

/Bruce