[dpdk-dev] dev Digest, Vol 45, Issue 9

Assaad, Sami (Sami) sami.assaad at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Jul 9 01:18:04 CEST 2015

Hello Bruce,

As you stated previously, I cannot guarantee the proper mapping of the virtual addresses between my primary and secondary processes. I have one primary process and up to 42 secondary processes. The application as a whole works very well. However, closing the application/restarting it continuously results with certain clients (secondary processes) failing to memory map the primary virtual addresses into /dev/zero (fd_zero). [Error "Cound not mmap 8573157376 bytes in /dev/zero to requested address ..."]

So, I disabled ASLR on my virtual machine (VM). Rebooted it with ASLR permanently disabled and ran the application. None of the clients (secondary processes) was able in memory mapping the virtual addresses derived from the primary process. Rte_eal_config_reattach() fails with the error "Cannot mmap memory for rte_config".

My experience with ASLR is limited. Must I rebuild the software with ASLR disabled or am I missing EAL configuration?
How about SELinux - must it be enabled or disabled?
Or ... must I manually configure the virtual addressing for both the primary & secondary processes? An example would help.

I am running the primary process with the option --proc-type=primary and the 40+ clients with --proc-type=secondary.

- My OS is CentOS6.6
- Using KVM/QEMU
- DPDK 1.8.0
- Haswell