[dpdk-dev] [ovs-discuss] vswitches performance comparison

Gray, Mark D mark.d.gray at intel.com
Tue Jul 21 20:36:03 CEST 2015

> I'd like to hope that's my methodology problem, but I just follow the
> installation guide without any customization.
>
> Hi Mark, do you have any performance data share with us? Maybe we are
> using different type of workloads, like I mentioned I am using typical data
> center workload, I guess you are talking about NFV type of workload?

The number getting floated around on the mailing list recently is 16.5Mpps
for phy-phy. However, I don't think we have any iperf data off-hand for your
usecase. When we test throughput into the vm we usually generate the traffic externally
and send NIC->OVS->VM->OVS->NIC. This is a little different to your setup.

I do know, however, that ovs-dpdk typically has a much larger throughput than
the kernel space datapath.

Have you seen this? https://wiki.opnfv.org/characterize_vswitch_performance_for_telco_nfv_use_cases