[dpdk-dev] can eth_igb_xmit_pkts called with len 0 affect transmission?

ciprian.barbu ciprian.barbu at enea.com
Fri Jul 24 11:30:40 CEST 2015

Hi Lu,

Thank you for getting back to me.

On 24.07.2015 05:49, Lu, Wenzhuo wrote:
> Hi Ciprian,

Sorry about this, failure to communicate :) I meant to say nb_pkts = 0

> According to where the code returns, seems the queue is not initialized correctly.

The queue should have been initialized ok, I'm able to several millions
of packets before getting stuck. It's only after I make a
rte_eth_tx_burst call with nb_pkts = 0 that I get stuck in that return.
Looking at the source code, the function will only do:

         rte_wmb();
         E1000_PCI_REG_WRITE(txq->tdt_reg_addr, tx_id);

The barrier should be harmless, so I'm thinking that writing that
register without sending any packets causes this behavior.

> I saw you used odp-dpdk. Sorry, I'm not familiar with it. Why not try dpdk examples,
> and check if the behavior is same?

Of course, I tried the DPDK l2fwd example, that's how I managed to find
the difference between odp_l2fwd and DPDK l2fwd. After I removed the
piece of code that was calling rte_eth_tx_burst with nb_pkts 0 it
started behaving the same as DPDK l2fwd.

I suppose I could also modify l2fwd to make this call and see it it gets
stuck too.