[dpdk-dev] i40e xmit path HW limitation

Vlad Zolotarov vladz at cloudius-systems.com
Thu Jul 30 18:44:24 CEST 2015

On 07/30/15 19:10, Zhang, Helin wrote:

> [...]
Note that it's a Tx size we are talking about.

See 30520831f058cd9d75c0f6b360bc5c5ae49b5f27 commit in linux net-next repo.
If such a cluster arrives and you post it on the HW ring - HW will shut
this HW ring down permanently. The application will see that it's ring
is stuck.

>> This means that, for instance, long cluster with small fragments has to be
>> linearized before it may be placed on the HW ring.
> What type of size of the small fragments? Basically 2KB is the default size of mbuf of most
> example applications. 2KB x 8 is bigger than 1.5KB. So it is enough for the maximum
> packet size we supported.
> If 1KB mbuf is used, don't expect it can transmit more than 8KB size of packet.

I kinda lost u here. Again, we talk about the Tx side here and buffers
are not obligatory completely filled. Namely there may be a cluster with
15 fragments 100 bytes each.