[dpdk-dev] no packets with i40e when setting up more than 1 rx queue

Nikita Kozlov nikita at gandi.net
Tue Jun 2 10:45:15 CEST 2015

Hello,

To introduce myself, I am working on a slightly enhanced version of
l3fwd which support some more features like dynamically adding new
routes in a lpm table, adding some acls, rate-limiting per dest, a
command line through unixsock etc. We hope to open source it as soon as
it is shiny enough.

Here is my problem, when I'm trying to use more than 1 rx_queue using
the i40e driver I'm not receiving any packet, the rx_status in
i40e_rx_scan_hw_ring is always 0 on all queues. Note that the code is
working with more than 1 queue with an ixgbe card.

Some details:
-We are using the same rte_eth_conf as the one in l3fwd, and we have
tested with both ETH_RSS_IP and ETH_RSS_PROTO_MASK.
-The queues setup is the same as in l3fwd.
-When I'm dumping the reta table I have my hash indexes are pointing to
queue 0 and 1.
-The rxq->queue_id in i40e_rx_scan_hw_ring (and in rte_eth_rx_burst) is
a mix of queue 0 and queue 1.
-The rss configuration taken from rte_eth_dev_rss_hash_conf_get seems ok.
-We have flashed both card to the latest  version (f4.33 a1.2 n04.42
e80001930)
-We have tested with dpdk2.0.0 and with the current HEAD.

I saw the mail "i40e and RSS woes", so I tried to set another rss_key
after the init but it doesn't help. I also tried to modify the reta
table but it doesn't help also.

I am a little bit out of new ideas to solve it, if its not to try to
downgrade the firmware version.

Anyone have a suggestion ? I will continue my dev using a ixgbe card,
but making it work with i40e too (with more than 1 rx_queue) would be
really pleasing.

--
Nikita