[dpdk-dev] The use of --log-level and its default state

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Fri Jun 5 12:00:30 CEST 2015

2015-05-27 15:10, Wiles, Keith:
> I would like to have the log-level default changed to not log everything,
> but the user needs to enable the log messages if he needs to see more
> information. Normally applications or systems are not so verbose, but if
> needed the user enables the verbose or debug messages.
>
> Can we change the default logs and messages to be non-verbose instead?

Do you mean changing this line?
    /* default value from build option */
    internal_cfg->log_level = RTE_LOG_LEVEL;
It means using the most verbose level available in the build.

Maybe we should set RTE_LOG_NOTICE or RTE_LOG_WARNING,
However, there is already --log-level for the user and rte_set_log_level()
for the application developper.
So this default log level is only used for DPDK trials and development.
Probably that being verbose is a good option for such cases?