[dpdk-dev] 4 Traffic classes per Pipe limitation

Yeddula, Avinash ayeddula at ciena.com
Fri Jun 5 19:06:15 CEST 2015

Hi,
This is related to the QOS scheduler functionality provided by dpdk.

I see a limit on the number of traffic classes to be 4.  I'm exploring the available options to increase that limit to 8.

This is what I found when I researched on this topic.
The limitation on number's of TC (and pipes) comes from the number of
bits available. Since the QoS code overloads the 32 bit RSS field in
the mbuf there isn't enough bits to a lot. But then again if you add lots
of pipes or subports the memory footprint gets huge.

Any more info or suggestions on increasing the limit to 8 ?

Thanks
-Avinash